E6000 3.1 CCAP
Now with next Generation Modules & Remote PHY
The ARRIS E6000 Converged Edge Router (CER) is the industry-leading Converged Cable Access Platform (CCAP). It provides cable Service Providers unprecedented advances in channel density, power efficiency, and cost savings in a redundant, integrated architecture, designed from the ground up for high availability.
Advances in the platform are enabling operators to provide more bandwidth to their subscribers through additional access technologies and architectures.
Distributed Access Architecture (DAA)
The E6000 CER supports multiple deployment architectures and technologies:
- Integrated CCAP (I-CCAP) for Traditional Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) networks
- Remote PHY Distributed Access Architecture
- 10G EPON Optical Line Terminal (OLT) support for Fiber to the X (FTTX)
The E6000 Generation 2 (Gen 2) modules (DCAM-2, UCAM-2, RSM-2, and EPFM) deliver additional service group density and greater throughput:
- Substantially increase service group density relative to E6000 Generation 1 modules.
- Facilitate a Pay-as-you-Grow model with increased channel density per service group, enabled by the application of the appropriate DOCSIS 3.0 Single Carrier QAM (SC-QAM), DOCSIS 3.1 OFDM, and video licenses.
For service groups where Service Providers want to deploy or migrate to FTTX, the 10G EPON Fiber Module (10G EPFM) can be deployed along with the RSM-2 in the E6000 CER to support XFP-based 10G EPON ports. The 10G EPFM leverages the existing E6000 features as well as DOCSIS Provisioning of EPON (DPoE) version 2.0 to preserve Service Provider’s DOCSIS-based back-office provisioning and tools.
Downstream Cable Access Module 2 (DCAM-2)
Service Providers deploying the DCAM-2 in an I-CCAP architecture can realize a significant increase in total service groups per E6000 chassis. In addition, the DCAM-2 supports wide deployment of DOCSIS 3.1 while maintaining all existing DOCSIS 3.0 SC-QAM channels and services.
Use of the DCAM-2 requires the RSM-2 and can be implemented via field migration. Beyond I-CCAP, the DCAM-2 can be used to provide downstream Media Access Control (MAC) processing to enable Remote PHY operation on the E6000 CER with a software-only upgrade along with the application of license keys.
Upstream Cable Access Module 2 (UCAM-2)
The Upstream Cable Access Module 2 (UCAM-2) provides hardware support for both DOCSIS 3.0 SC-QAMs and DOCSIS 3.1 OFDMA operation. Service Providers can deploy both SC-QAMs and OFDMA on each physical port (i.e. each upstream service group) with the UCAM-2. This enables higher throughput, with greater spectral efficiency, while providing backward compatibility for all currently-deployed modems.
The UCAM-2 can be deployed with either the Gen 1 or Gen 2 RSM. The UCAM-2 is the only hardware change required to get to DOCSIS 3.1 support in the upstream to supplement downstream support already provided by the Gen 1 DCAM. Beyond I-CCAP, the UCAM-2 can be used to provide upstream MAC processing to enable Remote PHY operation on the E6000 CER with a software-only upgrade and when paired with the DCAM-2,RSM-2 and E6000n RPD.
Router System Module 2 (RSM-2)
The Router System Module 2 (RSM-2) is the heart of a E6000 Gen 2 system. It enables mass deployment of DOCSIS 3.1 in I-CCAP and Remote PHY architectures, as well as 10G EPON deployments, by providing two critical enhancements:
- RSM-2 increases the internal link switching speed within the chassis for each client card slot.
- The RSM-2 / RPIC-2Q combination provides a significant increase of uplink capacity, greatly increasing the uplink bandwidth for I-CCAP, Remote PHY, and 10G EPON applications.
When operating with two RSM-2s in the same chassis, the active/active nature of forwarding (active/standby control plane) in the E6000 architecture enables double the uplink capacity. The RSM-2 can be used to enable Remote PHY operation on the E6000 CER and enables 10G EPON OLT functionality when paired with the EPFM.
10G EPON Fiber Module (EPFM)
The 10G EPFM is a 16 port 10G EPON Client card supporting 160 Gbps throughput.
E6000n Remote PHY Device (RPD)
ARRIS supports three E6000n Remote PHY Device (RPD) form factors:
- E6000n RPD for the OM6000 Fiber Deep node
- E6000n RPD for the NC4000 and NC2000 nodes
- E6000n RPD for Remote PHY Shelf
Overview DCAM(-1) and DCAM-2
Overview UCAM(-1) and UCAM-2