SD MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) Multi-Channel Encoder
The Ion AVC encoder incorporates four high-quality encoders and twelve stereo audio pairs in a single rack unit (1-RU) chassis. Leveraging Aurora’s market-leading MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 AVC compression technology, the Ion AVC combines three generations of AVC encoding know-how with the density and cost-effectiveness of the Ion platform.
Able to deliver four simultaneous MPEG-4 AVC SD channels in high and low resolution formats, operators can increase revenue per program and customer satisfaction by flexibly delivering multiple services to any device.
With its standard IP interfaces, the Ion-AVC is yet another key element of Aurora’s offering of an all-IP virtual headend. Supporting constant bit-rate (CBR) encoding, the Ion AVC is designed primarily with the needs of telco and cable service providers in mind. Telco operators can quickly and efficiently launch SD services by reducing the cost per channel without sacrificing compression efficiency.
- Performance - Delivers broadcast-quality video for any type of content at 2.0 Mbps
- Software-selectable encoding flexibility - Operators can deliver MPEG-4 channels in high or low resolution, within a given bandwidth, without compromising video quality.
- Multiple audio formats - Supports a large range, from MPEG-1 Layer II, AC-3, AAC/HE-AAC encoding to multi-channel pass-thru
- Density - By offering a fixed configuration of four SD channels and the option for simultaneously delivering low resolution channels for picture-in-picture (PiP), operators can provide multiple, feature-rich services utilizing less space than required in a traditional headend
- Flexible video, audio and VBI format conversion – The Ion AVC encoder offers unequalled flexibility to support various formats, which means that operators are not constrained by the inbound video, audio and VBI format, bit rate and resolution
- New applications – The Ion AVC is well suited for switched architecture and other environments
- Support for all-IP infrastructure
- Network management - Aurora’s NMX Digital Service Manager (configuration, monitoring, redundancy control)